- Find a Fertility Doctor or Clinic
- Fertility Health
- Trying to Conceive
- Female Infertility
- Male Infertility
- General or Unexplained Infertility
- Fertility Treatments
- Getting and Paying for Fertility Treatment
- Family Building Options
- LGBT Family Building
- Ask Dr. Fertility
- Fertility Forum
Your Fertility Appointment Today to Start Your Family Tomorrow
You are here
Age and Fertility: Top 10 Things You Need to Know
Good day! I have another edition of the radio show to summarize in my “top 10” fashion. This show is titled “Is It Age?” Here are the top 10 things to know about infertility related aging:
10. There is no “magic switch” that is turned at 35, and all of a sudden, you have infertility! Aging is a continuum, and everyone ages differently.
9. The older we are, the longer it takes to get pregnant.
8. We are less fertile as we age because we have fewer eggs and poorer quality eggs.
7. We are less fertile as we age because we have a different hormone environment, which interferes with ovulation.
5. We have a higher chance of miscarriage as we age because of egg quality and chromosomal problems.
4.The guys make sperm throughout life, but with age, it takes longer to conceive.
3.There is likely decreased fertility with increasing male age due to poor semen quality.
2. Life’s not fair ... for the girls!
1. Even though this sounds discouraging, please don’t miss your opportunity to talk to a fertility doctor. There are so many ways reproductive endocrinologists can help you achieve your goals of having a baby even if you are feeling like you are “too old!"