- Find a Fertility Doctor or Clinic
- Fertility Health
- Egg Freezing
- Trying to Conceive
- Female Infertility
- Male Infertility
- Fertility Treatments
- Getting and Paying for Fertility Treatment
- Family Building Options
- LGBT Family Building
- Ask Dr. Fertility
- Fertility Forum
Your Fertility Appointment Today to Start Your Family Tomorrow
You are here
Fertility Wives' Tales
Your mother might have told you that drinking her fertility smoothie will get you pregnant. Your friend told you to try a fertility dance with your partner after midnight. Your grandmother made you drink a special fertility tea.
You’ve probably heard many old wives’ tales and advice about getting pregnant, and so far, you’ve tried a few and had no luck. Here are some other fertility tales that don’t necessarily ring true:
- You cannot get pregnant while standing up. False. If you’re having sexual intercourse, a pregnancy is always possible, regardless of whether you are lying down or having some fun in the airplane bathroom.
- You cannot get pregnant while on your period. False. Since every body is different, a pregnancy is always possible. (Haven’t you heard about the teenager who accidentally conceived while on her period?) It still happens!
- Your sister got pregnant easily, and so will you. False. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. One sibling may conceive easily, while the other might experience infertility.
Before you believe any fertility wives tales, it’s always best just ask a fertility doctor.
If you'd like to schedule an appointment to see a doctor and discuss your options, please fill out our online form and one of our Patient Care Coordinators will get in touch with you!
And as always, please visit FertileThoughts for emotional support!