- Find a Fertility Doctor or Clinic
- Fertility Health
- Trying to Conceive
- Female Infertility
- Male Infertility
- General or Unexplained Infertility
- Fertility Treatments
- Getting and Paying for Fertility Treatment
- Family Building Options
- LGBT Family Building
- Ask Dr. Fertility
- Fertility Forum
Your Fertility Appointment Today to Start Your Family Tomorrow
You are here
Lose Weight and Ovulate
Studies suggest that losing just five to ten percent of your body weight can help restore ovulation, thereby increasing your chance of getting pregnant.
Women who are overweight, even slightly, are at risk of hormonal imbalances like Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and as many as 10% of women of reproductive age have PCOS. In approximately 70% of those cases, the disease is attributable to weight and physical inactivity. Some studies have also suggested that losing weight could improve your attitude toward sex (which is an added bonus), so get active and get busy!
Consider these tips for boosting your odds of ovulation:
- Get active. Take walks with a friend or your partner, or sign up for classes at your local gym. Losing the excess weight can decrease the level of free insulin in your blood which lowers androgen production and promotes hormone regularity.
- Eat a low glycemic index diet. Consuming more protein or vegetables and fewer sugars or “bad” carbohydrates can promote healthy hormone production.
- Talk to your fertility doctor about ovulation induction fertility drugs. Clomid is a first line fertility drug for inducing ovulation. You can also use injectable fertility drugs like Follistim or Gonal-F if you do not respond well to Clomid.
- Use Ovulation Prediction Kits (OPKs) or chart your Basal Body Temperature (BBT). These at-home methods will help you determine if you are ovulating and allow you to seek the help of a fertility doctor sooner.
To consult a fertility doctor near you about weight and ovulation, contact our Patient Care Coordinators by calling 1-855-955-BABY (2229) or by filling out the Contact Fertility Doctors Near Me form.