You are here
Chicago Infertility Therapists
A number of Chicago therapists offer emotional support to women and men with infertility. The inability to have a child results in a range of emotions including anger, loss, depression, anxiety, fear, hopelessness, and sadness. It can create tension and stress in relationships and conflicts with family and friends. Some couples struggle with feelings of blame or guilt because of their infertility. It is a life crisis and these feelings can become overwhelming.
Men and women tend to handle the emotions associated with infertility in different ways. They may also disagree about what the next step should be in terms of building their families.
A number of psychotherapists in the Chicago area have expertise in working with both men, women and partners who are struggling with infertility. These experts can offer the therapeutic guidance to help their clients cope with their infertility and the challenges it presents. Many of these therapists have worked closely with RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association.
- Marie Davidson, Ph.D, Skokie, IL
- Jan Nussbaum, Ph.D, (Chicago, IL
If you decide to seek therapy think carefully about what your goals are. There are some important questions you should ask whenever you seek counseling:
- Ask the therapist what his/her counseling philosophy is.
- Does s/he have experience working with individuals andoror couples?
- How long has the therapist been in practice?
- Finally, find out what their expertise is in working with other people who have the specific infertility problems that you do.
It is critical that you feel comfortable and confident in the abilities of the therapist you choose.