You are here
FertilityAuthority's Guide to Fertility-Friendly Holiday Gifts for Your Man
Forget rushing out on Black Friday for the latest techno gadget, Black Ops II video game or Beer of the Month Club membership for your male partner this holiday season. If you're a couple trying to get pregnant, here are five fertility-friendly suggestions for your partner that could improve his sperm health — and help move you closer to your baby-making goals in 2013!
- STUD Fertility Friendly Underwear: The company's slogan is "Bringing Sexy Back to Baby-Making." STUD is the brainchild of a natural fertility expert. Retailing for $57.99. the "high-performance" briefs are made from mesh, bamboo and organic cotton and are anatomically engineered to keep things cool by improving air circulation. Visit the company's website for pictures and more information and check out their Facebook page for a Free Gift offer. Then, swing by Fertility Authority's Facebook page to let us know what you scored!
- Fruit of the Month Club: Research is finding that sperm health depends on what a man eats. In fact, we interviewed some experts in male fertility to find out exactly how to improve sperm quality and quantity. Guess what was at the top of the list? Diet and Exercise! Also, a Brazilian study published in the November 2011 edition of Fertility and Sterility found that if men have a diet high in fruit and grains and low in red meat, alcohol and coffee, their chances of a successful in vitro fertilization increases. So make it easy for him to get his five a day with a fun fruit gift that keeps on giving. Harry and David offers a nice selection.
- Gym Membership: In the same Brazilian study mentioned above, being overweight was linked to lower sperm concentration and motility (how well sperm swim). A healthy diet combined with moderate exercise can boost sperm health. Just don't let him stay in the gym too long — prolonged exercise may have a detrimental effect, and he needs to absolutely stay away from any muscle-building supplements that have hormone-like substances such as DHEA. Health.com has a review of the top 10 healthiest gyms in America based on criteria, including green practices, facilities, classes, equipment, and nutrition.
- Ergonomic Bicycle Seat: If your man is into cycling (not the fertility treatment kind), you might consider gifting him a fertility-friendly bicycle seat. The seats range in price from as low as $20 to $100 or more. Look for the special ergonomic design of a "cut center" and gel composition which prevent applied pressure to the groin. Male fertility experts also encourage tri-atheletes to take it down a notch. Extreme exercising can take its toll on your guy's sperm production.
- BPA-Free Water Bottle: There is a growing body of research that Bisphenol-A (BPA), a chemical used to make resins and strengthen plastics, has been linked to decreased libido, erectile dysfunction, impaired semen quality and a drop in sperm count. REI has a nice water bottle selection.
- Laptop Desk: Get those laptop computers off of his lap. A 2010 study published in the journal Fertility and Sterility found that when men used laptops on their laps with their knees together, it took only 28 minutes for the scrotum’s temperature to elevate by almost 2 degrees Fahrenheit. With a hip, ergonomic laptop desk, his sperm (and his back) will thank you!