You are here
Insurance Coverage for Fertility Treatment in Chicago
One of the most overwhelming aspects of dealing with infertility is understanding what insurance coverage is available to help with the substantial costs of fertility treatment. Residents of Chicago and the entire state of Illinois are very fortunate to have insurance coverage under the Illinois Family Building Act (IFBA). The IFBA provides coverage to women who have been unable conceive after one year of unprotected sex or who have been unable to sustain a pregnancy.
Illinois Family Building Act
The Illinois Family Building Act legislation was instituted in 1992. It says that if a company meets certain requirements they are legally obligated to pay the costs of four IVF egg retrievals in a patient’s lifetime. An additional two are covered if a baby is born as a result. There are no limits to low-tech or less invasive procedures such as intrauterine insemination (IUI).
A company must meet the following requirements to be eligible under the IFBA:
- The company must be headquartered in Illinois
- The company must have at least 25 employees or more
- The company must have an insurance policy issued in Illinois
- The company must have traditional indemnity coverage-not self insured
Additionally, a company does not need to provide insurance if:
- The company is headquartered outside of Illinois
- Your employer is self-insured
- Your employer is a religious institution or organization that doesn’t sanction some or all fertility procedures
Your company’s human resources department should be able to answer your questions about insurance coverage for fertility treatment. If you are working with a fertility clinic their business office may also be able to assist with questions about insurance coverage.