Find a Clinic Near You And Get Started Today


You are here

Should I See a Fertility Doctor?

blond woman preg test.jpg

Fertility doctors, also known as reproductive endocrinologists or REs, focus solely on evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of all types of infertility, allowing them to better manage a wide range of fertility issues.

Couples who may wish to see a fertility doctor include the following.

Women who:

  • Are age 35 or older
  • Have a history of pelvic infection, such as pelvic inflammatory disease, or pelvic pain
  • Need treatment for tubal damage or endometriosis
  • Had two or more miscarriages
  • Have irregular menstrual cycles, ovulate irregularly, and have not responded to clomiphene citrate
  • Were exposed to DES, a synthetic estrogen that was prescribed to millions of pregnant women from 1938 until 1971

Men who:

  • Have poor semen analysis, showing low motility, low count, or poor morphology
  • Have frequent urinary infections

Couples who:

  • Have tried to conceive for longer than one year with no pregnancy (six months for women older than age 35), even though their tests come back “normal”
  • Are considering using assisted reproductive technologies (ART) such as in vitro fertilization (IVF)