You are here
Surrogacy in Dallas, Texas
Surrogacy is a treatment option for women who wish to have a child but are unable to conceive on their own. It’s the most complex of collaborative assisted reproductive technologies because it involves a third party. Surrogacy is used when the woman who wants to parent has a medical condition that makes it unsafe or impossible for her to carry a child. Surrogates can be family members, friends, or strangers whom an agency or attorney finds. Donor eggs are used when the intended mother is unable to produce healthy eggs. Donor sperm is used if the intended father is unable to produce healthy sperm.
Gestational surrogacy and traditional surrogacy are the two types of surrogacy. In traditional surrogacy the surrogate is inseminated with sperm from the male partner and her eggs are used. Texas Law prohibits traditional surrogacy. In gestational surrogacy, the surrogate is implanted with a fertilized egg. The egg can come from the couple or another donor. There is no biological relationship to the surrogate.
Surrogacy Laws in Texas
Texas has a gestational surrogacy law with the following provisions:
- The surrogacy agreement must be validated by the court.
- To be validated the agreement says the intended parents must be married to each other.
- The gestational surrogate’s egg cannot be used.
- A donor egg can be used. Intended parents must show medical need to use a gestational surrogate.
- The intended gestational surrogate must have a history of a previous successful pregnancy and birth.
- The intended parents or gestational surrogate must reside in Texas for at least 90 days.
- Texas does not allow same sex couples to be married so legal assistance should be obtained to determine options.
Dallas area Surrogacy Agencies
There are five surrogacy programs that service the Dallas area. (ConceivAbilities is not locally based but works with local fertility centers.) These agencies offer comprehensive medical and psychological examinations which are a critical component of reputable surrogacy programs. Surrogacy programs in Dallas include:
- Alfred Rodriguez, MD at Presbyterian Hospital of Plano ARTS Program
- Simple Surrogacy
- Surrogacy Specialists of America (SSA)
- Surrogate Solutions
- Surrogate Parenting Center of Texas
Talk to surrogacy agency staff to learn about costs and their testing and screening procedures. Research the programs carefully. Surrogacy is complicated so be certain that you and the surrogate have proper legal representation. Use lawyers who specialize in family building law.