Find a Clinic Near You And Get Started Today


You are here

Surrogacy in Maine

Status message

Active context: desktop

Surrogacy is a type of complex assisted reproduction in which one woman, who is called the surrogate, agrees to give birth for another woman or couple, called the intended parent or parents.

Surrogacy may be an option for women who are unable to carry a pregnancy to term, who have had their uterus removed, who experience repeated miscarriage, or who have certain medical conditions in which pregnancy may pose a risk. Surrogacy may also be an option for gay couples looking to build their families.

You can choose a traditional or gestational surrogate. Traditional surrogates use their own eggs, so the child will be their biological relation. Gestational surrogates are implanted with an embryo that uses a donor egg, so the child will not be related to her.

Surrogacy Laws in Maine

Currently, there are no laws on the books that deal with surrogacy in Maine, so there are no laws that prohibit it. It is unclear how Maine would treat a surrogacy agreement involving gay or lesbian individuals since there has been no case law on it, though it is legal in Maine for LGBT couples to jointly adopt a child.

If you are interested in pursuing surrogacy in Maine, it is important to retain the services of a reproductive law attorney.

Choosing a Surrogate in Maine

If you are considering surrogacy in Maine, your next step should be to contact a fertility clinic in the state. There is one fertility clinic location in Maine that works with surrogates.

Comments (1)

Hello, I’m Suteera from Thailand. I am writing to ask for further information about my friends’ surrogacy plan. I’m looking for a country where surrogacy is allowed and suitable for my friend case. I would like to consult you in order to decide if I should recommend my friend to use the surrogacy service in any countries under your service. Here’s a brief information regarding the case. • The intended parents are heterosexual couple (man and woman) and they are both Thai. • They already have a surrogate mother and it is non-commercial. • They are planning to use gestational surrogacy to carry a baby. The egg will come from the intended mother. Please kindly provide me beneficial information 1. Can we specify the intended mother name in the child birth certificate before or as soon as the child is born under any countries under your service? If yes, do we need court order for the purpose? if the order is needed, -What is the process of court order? -How long it will take time before grant the parentage order? -Will the child get your country nationality? In brief, is it possible for my friend to use the surrogacy service in any countries under your service? If yes, how much for the approximate cost? I would be really appreciated if you could answer me. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you in advance.

Add new comment