Find a Clinic Near You And Get Started Today


You are here

Time for a Fertility Doctor or Fertility Clinic? How to Find One

Are you ready to see a fertility doctor or find the fertility clinic that can help you on your way to getting pregnant? If your first instinct is to ask your gynecologist or your best friend who had in vitro fertilization (IVF) for a referral, that's not necessarily a bad idea … but it's also very important for you to do your own research..

In 2010, there were 443 U.S. fertility clinics reporting data to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. So, there are a lot of clinics in this country — and even more fertility doctors. And while all of them perform IVF, many will specialize in different practice areas of reproductive endocrinology.

For example, are you a couple who has severe male factor infertility? You will want to find a fertility clinic with the most advanced expertise in such areas as intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) or testicular sperm extraction (TESE). Perhaps you are a woman with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). It will help you to find a fertility doctor who works with many PCOS patients and can offer lifestyle modification programs and treatments for that condition.

Don't be nervous about taking the important first step and seeing a fertility doctor. A complete fertility work-up will give you the information you need about both partners — male and female — to make important decisions about your family-building future. While every fertility clinic has their own testing protocol, typical fertility work-ups include:

  • Blood tests for hormones, including follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), antimullerian hormone (AMH), luteinizing hormone (LH), estradiol and progesterone. Your fertility doctor may also order an "Androgen Panel" to check levels of free testosterone and dihydroeprandrostone (DHEAS).
  • Ultrasound exams to assess the thickness of the endometrium (lining of the uterus), monitor follicle development and assess the condition of the uterus and ovaries.
  • Cervical mucus tests, including a post-coital test (PCT) to see if sperm can penetrate and survive in the cervical mucus, as well as a bacterial screening.
  • A hysterosalpingogram (HSG), sonohysterosalpingogram (SSG) or saline sonogram (SIS) to examine a woman's uterus and fallopian tubes.
  • A semen analysis, which will test a man's sperm count, sperm morphology (shape) and sperm motility (movement).
  • Surgical tests, such as a laparoscopy to look for endometriosis, or genetic testing to screen for inheritable disease may also be ordered.

So now, are you ready to find the best fertility doctor or fertility clinic for you? FertilityAuthority's Patient Care Coordinators will match you to the fertility doctor best suited to treat your specific needs. Give them a call at 1-855-955-BABY (2229) or fill out the Contact Fertility Doctors Near Me form.


Comments (1)

Husband & I want to conceive a child he had an vasectomy it's been over 13 years so we didn't feel like having it reversed was our best option. Icsi is the way we would like to go

Add new comment