Find a Clinic Near You And Get Started Today


You are here

What is a Reproductive Endocrinologist?

Status message

Active context: desktop
abdomen heart.jpg

In more than seven years of medical school, internship, and residency (programs for doctors choosing to specialize in certain fields such as ob/gyn), doctors receive just a few weeks of training in infertility. That’s why women facing infertility should seek out a fertility doctor: a reproductive endocrinologist (RE).

Reproductive Endocrinologists (RE) are Fertility Specialists

Reproductive Endocrinologists must attend an additional two-to-three year fellowship in reproductive endocrinology, pass a written exam, have a two-year practice experience in reproductive endocrinology, and then pass a three-hour oral exam. Yes, that's all after they complete their medical school, internship, and residency programs.

REs are fertility specialists.

In the U.S., there are about 500 REs. Another 800 or so physicians in the U.S. are called “board eligible in reproductive endocrinology.” These doctors have completed all of the training to become REs, except for the oral exams.

Should you see a fertility doctor? Find out if you should make an appointment with a reproductive endocrinologist here.