Find a Clinic Near You And Get Started Today


You are here

When to See a Fertility Doctor

calendar booties.jpg

Those who may wish to see a fertility doctor, known as a reproductive endocrinologist (RE), include:

Women who:

  • Are age 35 or older
  • Have a history of pelvic infection, such as pelvic inflammatory disease, or pelvic pain
  • Need treatment for tubal damage or endometriosis
  • Had two or more miscarriages
  • Have irregular menstrual cycles, ovulate irregularly, and have not responded to clomiphene citrate
  • Were exposed to DES, a synthetic estrogen that was prescribed to millions of pregnant women from 1938 until 1971

Men who:

  • Have poor semen analysis, showing low motility, low count, or poor morphology
  • Have frequent urinary infections

Couples who:

  • Have tried to conceive for longer than 1 year with no pregnancy (6 months for women older than age 35), even though their tests come back “normal”
  • Are considering using assisted reproductive technologies (ART) such as in vitro fertilization (IVF)

How to Find an RE

One place to start is by asking your ob/gyn for a recommendation. To find out if a doctor you’re considering is board certified as an RE, search by name at the American Board of Medical Specialties website (requires free registration) or call 1-866-ASK-ABMS. Or you can use the website’s search function to find a doctor who is board certified.