You are here
Telling Donor Conceived Children their Unique Story
A blog by Embryo Adoption Awareness Center, April 2, 2015
The children you’ve always dreamed of have become a reality – actually running around the house having loads of fun! You hug them, guide them, scold them, love them, and it’s all real.
With help from an egg/sperm/embryo donor your family is a reality, but what should you do about telling your children how they came to be? Here are few tips to consider.
- Sharing their story is a process, not a singular event in time.
- You don’t have to share everything all at once and in one breath!
- Don’t plan on waiting for ‘someday’. Start sharing even when they are an infant. It will help you get comfortable and grow in confidence.
- Yes, they deserve to know – even if you’ve waited. This webinar may be helpful.
- K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Simon
We wanted you very much
We had trouble becoming pregnant
We got help
We were so very happy when you were born
- Consider the words you will use.
- Anticipate more questions!
- It is your child’s story and they will appreciate knowing it.
Look at this as one of the most wonderful gifts you will give to your child.