You are here
Five Common Reasons for Infertility
A blog by Neway Fertility, September 30, 2014
If you are having problems conceiving, you’re not alone; about one in every seven couples has difficulty getting pregnant and there’s a number of reasons why. While IVF may be the most common treatment for infertility, it isn’t always the best or most cost effective solution. Below find some of the most common causes of infertility, along with possible treatments.
- Endometriosis: Endometriosis is a disorder that causes the lining of the uterine cavity to grow in places it’s not supposed to like the bowel, pelvis living or in the abdominal cavity – because the cells keep doing their job. This can cause for problems such as painful bowel movements, heavy periods, and you guessed it, infertility.
- PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome): Aka the silent cause of infertility and one of the most common reasons women don’t ovulate. In the usual process, a women needs to produce and mature eggs in order to conceive a baby. But in a woman with PCOS, this process is disrupted by a hormone imbalance – the eggs never mature and therefore, never release.
- Varicocele: It’s not you, it’s him. Almost half of men struggling with infertility have Varicoceles, or in laymen terms, when the veins in the spermatic cord are backed up. Not all cases need to be fixed, but if it’s the main reason the two of you are not getting pregnant, weigh out your options!
- Fallopian Tube Blockage: When a women’s fallopian tube is damaged or blocked up, infertility in an end result. This type of infertility, known as the tubal factor infertility, can be caused by a previous surgery, endometriosis or an STD, even years after diagnosis.
- Don’t Have Enough Healthy Eggs: Every woman is born with a fixed number of eggs, but as we age, the eggs begin to die off lowering the initial count. In order to optimize the egg count, we need to remain healthy, keep in mind our age and feel out the necessary options to preserve our eggs offered by fertility doctors and clinics.
Possible Options to Look Into: IUI, IVM, IVF
Possible Options to Look Into: IVM or IVF/M
Possible Options to Look Into: Surgery or Varicocele Embolization
Possible Options to Look Into: IVF, IUI or Antibiotics/Surgery
Possible Options to Look Into: Egg Freezing, Egg Donors, IVM, IVF
If you have questions about conceiving, talk to your doctor – whether it’s your regular OB-GYN or a fertility specialist, they are the best sources for accurate information about fertility. At Neway, we work closely with our patients to develop personalized fertility plans to make sure that no matter what is causing your infertility it is treated in the most healthful and least expensive way.