You are here
Eating to Improve Your Uterine Lining
Are there foods you can eat to strengthen and build the uterine lining, which would in turn aid with implantation and ongoing pregnancy?
The short answer is that if you’re following a fertility diet with an emphasis on no processed sugar, no overly processed foods, no trans fat, “good” carbohydrates, plenty of whole foods and grains, veggies and fruits, then you are in great shape for encouraging your lining to reach the thickness needed to support implantation — barring any underlining medical issue.
Normally, the uterine lining grows 1 to 2 mm every other day in response to estrogen. After ovulation, a lining of between 8 and 13 mm is considered normal. If the lining doesn’t develop to this thickness, it is harder for the embryo to implant. A few reasons this may happen include infection, scarring from D&Cs, low estrogen levels, poor uterine blood supply and sometimes endometrial antibodies.
If the causes are low estrogen or poor uterine blood supply, what you eat can make a difference. Estrogen is what causes our lining to grow. As we age, estrogen levels can decrease, affecting our lining. Our ovaries are just not putting out as much estrogen as they used to.
- Limit sugar, which can upset the delicate balance of our hormones
- Eat a healthy, mostly whole foods diet. Lyn Vaccaro, a holistic health practitioner, recommends eating foods that contain phytoestrogens, adding them in on a gradual basis. For a list of these foods, see her article.
- Don’t eat peas, as they’re a natural contraceptive.
- Eat soy with caution, as it contains a lot of phytoestrogens. See my blog on soy for more information.
- Eat blood nourishing and iron rich foods, such as protein. Remember to eat meat lean and organic only. Besides animal protein, other good blood builders include: rice and oats, lentils and other types of beans and legumes, green leafy vegetables, cabbage, celery, mushrooms, and nuts and seeds.
- Last, bringing more blood to your uterus also helps. Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine work well to improve circulation and bring blood to the uterus.
If you're experiencing miscarriage or suspect an infertility condition, you should consider consulting with a fertility specialist. To locate a doctor near you, feel free to request the assistance of one of our Patient Care Coordinators by calling us toll-free at 855-955-2229 or submitting a form to us . We're happy to help you schedule a consultation.