You are here
Male Factor Infertility: 10 Things You Need to Know
To all of the men out there, I want to summarize the radio show I recorded a few weeks ago entitled “Is It Him?”
The top 10 things to know about infertility as it relates to the guys!
9. Sperm are considered abnormal if they don’t move well (motility), aren’t shaped normally (morphology) or if there aren’t enough of them (concentration).
8. If there are no sperm seen in the sample, or very few, there can be a blockage of the tubes that transport the sperm.
7. You can be born with a blockage or you can develop one over time.
6. If there are blockages, the sperm can be obtained by a surgical procedure. Sometimes the tubes can be repaired.
5. If you were born with your testicles undescended (not in the scrotum), be sure to go to the fertility doctor early on in your fertility journey.
4. Hormonal imbalances can cause poor sperm production and can sometimes be easily fixed.
3. Taking body building steroids can cause you to stop making sperm, and if the steroids are stopped, the problem may resolve.
2. There are many things we can do to treat male factor infertility.
1. Prolonged and frequent hot tubs impair sperm function, but the underwear you choose doesn’t!