You are here
PCOS: Top 10 Things You Need to Know about Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
We did a radio show recently about polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and infertility. To summarize my PCOS radio show, the top 10 pearls to know are as follows:
10. PCOS is one of the most common causes of infertility.
9. PCOS causes anovulation (no mature egg is produced) and no opportunity to become pregnant.
8. We do not know what causes PCOS but, it is likely multiple genes and environmental factors work together to cause the problem.
7. Sixty percent of women with PCOS are obese, and weight loss can help women to conceive.
6. Most PCOS women have symptoms of excess hair growth on the face, and many have acne.
5. Most women who have PCOS have abnormal insulin function and have a higher chance of developing diabetes than women without PCOS.
4. PCOS can be difficult to diagnose and going to see your gynecologist or a fertility doctor (reproductive endocrinologist) will be most helpful.
3. PCOS can be diagnosed by having a thorough history and physical exam, including blood tests.
2. There are many options to treat infertility-related to PCOS. Most women with PCOS can successfully achieve a pregnancy!
1. PCOS is the most common endocrine (hormonal) disorder in women.