You are here
Benefits of Comprehensive Chromosomal Screening (CCS)
“By the time most women are in their 40’s, 90% of eggs are abnormal,” writes Dr. Alan Copperman of RMA New York. This is mostly the result of too many or too few chromosomes. Fortunately, Comprehensive Chromosomal Screening (CCS) is a genetic screening technique used in conjunction with IVF to help fertility doctors select the healthiest embryo(s) for transfer.
CCS is a form of Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) that offers the following benefits:
- Reduced risk of miscarriage
- Reduced chance of abnormal pregnancy
- Greater success with transferring just one embryo
- Ability to screen out specific genetic conditions like Down syndrome or Turner syndrome
- Better implantation rates when embryos are vitrified and transferred on a subsequent cycle
Genetic screening may be recommended due to recurrent miscarriage, history of failed IVF cycles, for gender selection, to patients with unexplained infertility, or to women over the age of 35.
To learn more about embryo selection and the CCS process, check out Dr. Alan Copperman’s blog on FertilityAuthority.com.
You can also watch as Dr. Copperman discusses the benefits of genetic testing with PGD:
Click image to play.