You are here
Staying Healthy During Your Fertility Workup and Treatment
Focusing on staying healthy while you’re trying to conceive can help reestablish a sense of control during what can be an incredibly stressful time. Dr. Rashmi Kudesia, a fertility doctor with Reproductive Medicine Associates of New York in Brooklyn, offers these tips for women to optimize pre-pregnancy health – whether you are considering seeing a fertility specialist or are going through a diagnostic fertility workup:
- Stay up to date with your gynecology visits, including Pap test and mammogram, if applicable
- Make sure vaccinations are up to date
- Continue to manage ongoing medical concerns and chronic health conditions, like diabetes or hypertension
- Reach and maintain a healthy BMI and weight
- Take a prenatal vitamin
- Work towards elimination of alcohol, tobacco and drug intake
- Try to prioritize your mental health and the needs of your partner, if you have one.
“Optimizing one’s health prior to pregnancy is the best bet for ensuring a good outcome,” Kudesia says.
Read Dr. Kudesia’s blog on getting and staying healthy during your fertility workup and treatment.