Find a Clinic Near You And Get Started Today


You are here

Dear Patient Care Advocates: How Can a Gay Couple Legally Protect Themselves During the Surrogacy and Egg Donation Process?

Dear Patient Care Advocates:

We are a gay couple wanting to have a baby. We plan to use my sperm, but we need an egg donor and a surrogate. It just seems like there is so much involved in the process and we want to make sure we do everything the right way according to California surrogacy laws- we live near San Francisco. We want the baby, and our rights as parents, to be protected. Can you help us?

Two Dads and a Baby


Dear Two Dads,

We have definitely received inquiries just like yours in the past! Most fertility clinics can help you find an egg donor, and some even have a surrogacy program, but you absolutely should protect yourselves from a legal standpoint. Our Patient Care Advocates can provide referrals for surrogacy resources (for understanding the laws in your state), as well as fertility clinics that specialize in LGBT family building, surrogacy, and egg donation. Check out the surrogacy and LGBT family building channels on

Fertility Authority's Surrogacy Channel

LGBT Family Buillding

You can also contact our Patient Care Advocates by calling 1-855-955-BABY (2229) or email

Baby Dust,

Watch as Dr. Brad Kolb of HRC Fertility explains the options for Gay Men and Couples to Have a Baby:

Click image to play.

Add new comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.