You are here
New Year, New You! Five Resolutions for Fertility in 2016
New Year, New You! It is time to make your resolution for 2016. Here are a few fertility-friendly suggestions to give you the best shot at a future family:
- Resolve to Exercise, Eat Right, and Sleep. Low impact exercises are recommended for women undergoing ovarian stimulation for a fertility treatment cycle. You should also fill your diet with lots of green vegetables and lean proteins. Consume red meat, caffeine, and alcohol in moderation as it can lead to inflammation- a problem with endometriosis and PCOS. Keep in mind that sleep is just as crucial as diet and exercise for hormone regulation, stress-reduction, and burning calories!
- Resolve to Stop Smoking. We all know smoking is bad for our health, but it can also significantly impact egg quality and sperm counts. Studies show that smoking can impact the success of your IVF cycle.
- Resolve to Consult a Fertility Doctor or Get a Second Opinion. You don’t have to feel stuck in a rut of endless BFNs (big fat negatives) on HPTs (home pregnancy tests) or repeating the same IVF protocol without results. Ask your doctor about switching up your treatment protocol or get a second opinion. If you’re still working with your OB-GYN, consult a fertility doctor who is specially trained to treat women and couples with fertility concerns. You can save money on your IVF cycles by enrolling in IVFAdvantage! Contact Fertility Authority's Patient Care Advocates to learn more by calling 855-955-BABY (2229).
- Resolve to Check Your Ovarian Reserve. The quantity and quality of eggs left in your ovaries is the Holy Grail of fertility. Ovarian reserve is measured with a simple blood test and you will have the results within 2 weeks. This blood test is often covered by health insurance. Even if you do nothing else in the New Year, learn about your chances of future conception!
- Resolve to Make the Most of Your Fertility. Now that you understand the importance of ovarian reserve, consider freezing your eggs for the best chance of having a future family. Fertility declines with age and by age 42, most fertility doctors will recommend using donor eggs with IVF to conceive. If you’re not quite ready to try for a baby now, preserve your fertility and take advantage of smart savings off your egg freezing cycles with EggBanxx!