You are here
Am I a Candidate for Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)?
Intrauterine insemination, or IUI, is one of the least complex fertility treatments, so it’s no surprise that it is often tried as a first-line treatment for those struggling with infertility.
You may be wondering if you are a candidate for IUI. IUI is often recommended for women or couples with the following conditions:
- Ovulation problems (IUI can be performed in conjunction with fertility drug therapy to induce ovulation).
- Mild male-factor infertility (The sperm wash with an IUI cycle often yields the highest quality sperm from a semen sample).
- Unexplained infertility
- Failed fertility drug treatment without insemination
IUI may not be effective in some cases. If you or your partner have the following conditions, IUI may not be right for you:
- Tubal blockage or severe tubal damage
- Ovarian failure (Diminished Ovarian Reserve, High FSH, etc).
- Severe male factor infertility
- Severe endometriosis
If you are interested in pursuing intrauterine insemination for your infertility, your next step should be to talk to a fertility doctor to discuss whether you may be a good candidate for the procedure. Your fertility doctor can help determine how your unique situation may play into the likelihood of success with IUI.
Need a fertility doctor? Contact one of our Patient Care Advocates, who can help answer your questions and point you in the right direction. Give one of us a call at 855-955-BABY (2229)!