You are here
Fun and Free Activities to Spare Your Budget for IVF
If you’re trying to save money for in vitro fertilization (IVF), chances are your entertainment budget has dwindled. Your social life is already on the fast track to we-have-a-baby-and-can’t-get-a-sitter-on-such-short-noticeville, but that doesn’t mean you’ve lost your ability or desire to have fun just yet! Despite tightening the belt on your budget, there are plenty of free or inexpensive activities to take your mind off of infertility and reconnect with your partner or friends before a baby pops into the picture.
- Visit a museum or historical site. You can enjoy climate-controlled exhibits and often get lost in someone else’s fascinating life. Admission is usually a “suggested donation” and some days are free, so check your local museum or historical site website for details. If you’re lucky, you might catch a glimpse of a naked statue or two which is minimally good for a laugh during a stressful fertility journey!
- Visit a park. Depending on the weather, you might be able to sneak away for a jog or hike with your partner. Some parks offer picnic grounds as well. In addition to a fertility-boosting workout, you can enjoy a romantic and healthy lunch.
- Sign up for an online community. Connect with other women who are in your shoes. Find a cycle buddy. Learn all those infertility acronyms: AF, BFN, BFP, POAS. Share your stories, provide support, listen and learn. We’re partial to Fertile Thoughts.
- Tour a local vineyard or brewery. Admission may vary, but many of these places offer free samples. Budget in advance for one glass of wine or a plate of local cheeses. Check out coupon deals online to make your outing even easier on your wallet.
- Window shop. Ok, this one can be tricky if you don’t have great willpower, but sometimes walking a shopping mall and talking with your significant other or girlfriends is the best medicine for a really rough day.
- Get a library card. Libraries are free and have an endless selection of books for you to read—this will keep you busy for a while and will give you some reading material for the fertility clinic waiting room.
- Check out a local farm. Much like the vineyard, there are bound to be free samples. If feeding pigs and milking cows is your thing, you might want to check the feeding schedule and tour times. For those who prefer farms for their seasonal offerings, you can check out the orchards, hayrides, pumpkin patches, Christmas tree lots, and homemade pies for cheap goodies and fun times!