You are here
How Do I Afford Fertility Treatment?
Fertility treatment can be not only emotionally and physically draining but financially difficult as well. Oftentimes, couples are financially prepared to start a family and are later surprised by unexpected fertility problems that can be both upsetting and expensive.
So how do you afford fertility treatments? Before you start to panic, here are some ways to prepare for fertility treatment costs.
- Review your insurance plan. Some companies actually help pay for fertility treatments, initial diagnostic tests, or fertility drugs, so don’t just assume your insurance won’t cover you.
- Talk to your fertility clinic. Explain your situation to your fertility clinic staff and see if they have a program already established to assist couples or if they know of one. Some fertility clinics offer shared risk packages and money back guarantees.
- Take out a loan. Be aware of any hidden fees and make sure that you will be able to pay it back. Infertility is stressful, so don’t spend money you can’t pay back.
- Ask family members. “Hey mom and dad, remember when you paid for our wedding? Well...” If you have a close relationship with your parents or other family members, you might feel comfortable asking for money or a loan for your treatment.
- Think realistically. Sometimes fertility treatments like intrauterine insemination (IUI) and in vitro fertilization (IVF) don’t work on the first attempt. Create a financial plan with your partner and make sure you can stick to that budget.
Looking for more information on paying for your fertility treatment? Check out the Financing your IVF forum on FertileThoughts.com.