You are here
What to Expect Before You're Expecting: Fertility Consultation
If you’re an infertility newbie, you probably feel a little apprehensive about consulting a fertility doctor. Fertility Authority's list of what to expect before you begin fertility treatment will help you feel prepared and less anxious:
- Consultation appointment. Your consultation appointment will be your first meeting with the fertility doctor. He or she will review your medical history, your family history of infertility (if any), and will address your concerns and questions. Check out our list of ways to prepare for your fertility consultation.
- Blood work for both partners. This includes sexually transmitted disease (STD) tests, infectious disease tests, and a blood hormone level tests for both partners.
- Ovarian Reserve Testing. This includes Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH), Anti-mullerian Hormone (AMH), and a Clomid Challenge Test to check the quality and quantity of your eggs and response to fertility drugs. Your fertility doctor will also test your Antral Follicle Count (AFC) using a transvaginal ultrasound.
- Male fertility tests. A semen analysis will check sperm quality and quantity, and a Post Coital Test will measure sperm’s function once it interacts with cervical mucus.
- Testing your fallopian tubes and uterus. A Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) and Saline Sonogram will be performed to make sure your fallopian tubes are open and your uterus is free of fibroids or other uterine anomalies. Your fertility doctor will also perform a transvaginal ultrasound to examine your uterus. You may need a laparoscopy if scar tissue or fibroids are suspected.
Don't forget, Fertility Authority's Patient Care Coordinators can match you with a trusted fertility doctor in your area. Just fill out the Contact Fertility Doctors Near Me form or call 1-855-955-BABY (2229). We're confident we can help you!