Find a Clinic Near You And Get Started Today


You are here

Ectopic Pregnancy

Status message

Active context: desktop

When a woman has damaged fallopian tubes, it increases the risk of ectopic pregnancy, also called tubal pregnancy.

An ectopic pregnancy occurs when the fertilized egg is unable to pass to the uterus, so the embryo grows in the fallopian tube instead. This happens in one out of every 40 or 50 pregnancies and is most likely to occur around the eight week of pregnancy.

Symptoms of Ectopic Pregnancy

The symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy may initially feel like symptoms of a normal pregnancy, but can quickly change. Symptoms include:

  • vaginal bleeding
  • sharp or stabbing abdominal cramps
  • pain on one side of the body that may spread through your belly
  • dizziness, weakness or fainting

If you have these symptoms of ectopic pregnancy, see a doctor immediately! The major health risk of ectopic pregnancy is that the tube will rupture and lead to internal bleeding. You may need emergency surgery to reduce the risk of heavy bleeding (hemorrhaging) if the tube ruptures. Ectopic pregnancy is a leading cause of pregnancy-related death; however survival rates have drastically improved due to advances in early detection.

An ectopic pregnancy cannot be saved. If the tube has not burst and the pregnancy hasn’t progressed very far, you may only need laparoscopic surgery to remove the embryo and repair the damage. If, however, the tube has ruptured, it may have to be removed.

Pregnancy after Ectopic Pregnancy

You can have a normal pregnancy after an ectopic pregnancy. If you still have both fallopian tubes, you have a 60 percent chance of having a successful pregnancy in the future. Even if one fallopian tube was removed, the remaining one should be enough to let you get pregnant again. Your doctor may suggest you wait from three to six months before trying to conceive.

Even if you have problems with your fallopian tubes, it is possible to become pregnant Surgery can help by removing a blockage, reconstructing the damaged end of a tube or removing scar tissue. In vitro fertilization (IVF) is another way of trying to become pregnant. This advanced reproductive technology doesn’t repair the tubes but bypasses them by transferring the embryo directly into the uterus.


Comments (102)

I have had 2 EPs, 1 in 2011 an another 2015 on the second EP I had my left tube removed and was told my right tube was healthy. I am now 4 weeks pregnant im assuming from my right tube and im having mild pain an sentivity when I move on my left side, I'm a bit confused why I'm feeling pain on that side. Can you have another EP on the side you've had your tube removed?

I'm sorry to hear about your previous EP losses. If you are having pain with this pregnancy, please call your doctor and request an appointment for as soon as possible. You'll need to be evaluated by your doctor to determine the source of your pain.

Hello Erin,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're struggling. Have you discussed these feelings with a therapist? If not, I highly recommend that you do so. Your OB/Gyn may even have some great recommendations for a therapist that specializes in fertility related issues. You need to discuss the next steps with your Gynecologist as he or she may have good news or options to help you conceive. Waiting or delaying seeing a specialist will only contribute to your depression.

Best of luck,
Julie Hunt

I had an ectopic pregnancy July last year and lost my right tube, we have just discovered 3 days ago that I am pregnant again.. But I am so worried it's going to be ectopic again.. I have had no bleeding though and other than a bit of nausea and tiredness I feel fine but I'm having a few niggles in my abdomen but that could be my colitis.. I have an appointment at the early pregnancy clinic but it's not until Wednesday so we have to wait and it's killing

Hi i had my ectopic in oct surgery done and my r8ght tube was removed...after 3 mnths wait was tested for tb pcr n it resulted positive....took att for 6 trying to concieve since 2 mnths bt in vain...m 26 yrs old

I aborted my pregnancy when it was four month.have been having this sharp pain from my left tube. Wat coud be the problem or will I b able to get pregnant again.still have both tubes

Hi there,

You should consult your OB-GYN to make sure there are no complications from the procedure.

Best of luck,

Am 26yrs now i had an ectopic pregancy in 2008 my right tube was removed and irrgular period with no ovulation how is my chance of getting pregant again am so worried pls help

Am 26yrs now i had an ectopic pregancy in 2008 my right tube was removed and irrgular period with no ovulation how is my chance of getting pregant again am so worried pls help

Am 26yrs now i had an ectopic pregancy in 2008 my right tube was removed and irrgular period with no ovulation how is my chance of getting pregant again am so worried pls help

I had ep on the 29th of june was 8weeks resulting to surgery and the dr removed my left tube and I'm left with my right tube then I got my periods on the 2nd of july so I was wondering would I still have children again after this,well my dr told me my right tube is ok but I'm just wondering...thanks

Hello Prudence, I am so sorry to hear that you've been struggling. If you have one tube it is more difficult to conceive than if you had two but it is possible. You might want to consider consulting with a Reproductive Endocrinologist though. If you do decide that you would like to meet with a specialist I am more than happy to help you find one in your area. Feel free to email me directly at

Hello, I had an ectopic pregnancy in 2011 that would have been my second child after the surgery and removing my left tube I had maybe three good periods until Jan 2012 no period for months... Called my obgyn pescribed me some pills to take for ten days to start my periods in the mean time my prolactin levels are high had a MRI results came back neg still no baby..... I have been tracking my periods, ovulation, and etc all seems fine. My period is four days late as of today took test came up neg should I seek a fertility specialist

Mynika, I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling. It is difficult to conceive when your period is irregular and you only have one fallopian tube. If your period is late you should consult with your Gynecologist to determine whether or not you are pregnant. If you're not pregnant I highly recommend you consult with a fertility doctor. I am more than happy to help you find one in your area. Please feel free to email me directly at

Ternasha - if you've been struggling to conceive following surgery perhaps you should consider consulting with a fertility specialist. If you need help finding one in your area please don't hesitate to email me directly

I don't have tubes just got out of surgery today and I'm very depressed, I want a baby but don't have any more funds after the laprascope, I'm so dissaapointed and don't know how I'm going to be able to fix this, I'm not even sure if thhe government hospitals would be able to help me get fallopian tubes, pls reply if anyone can help me

I have two healthy daughters 18 and 5 and in sep 2013 had an ectopic pregnancy which ruptured my fallopian tube and was removed, 8 months on been experience some serious sharp pains in the area removed, what could it be ? Also trying for another but worried my age is not on my side and told my right tube is not good I'm 37 !!!!

Hi Marnie,

Definitely return to your doctor to have the area evaluated. Regarding your ability to conceive, our fertility declines around age 35. You should talk to a fertility specialist (reproductive endocrinologist) to see what's going on with your fallopian tube and also understand your chances of conceiving. Give us a call and we will gladly assist! 1-855-955-BABY (2229).


Hi there! Thanks for posting. If your eggs are viable and there are no issues, IVF may be an option. On average, IVF can cost around $12,500 (depending on where you go). I would recommend seeing a fertility doctor though so they could best advise you. If you'd like an appointment, please email us at

i had ectopic pregancy past 8 yrs before iam now 31 yrs still iam not conceived what is the best trreatment i can take.

If you have been trying to conceive unsuccessfully, you can start by monitoring ovulation and determining the best days to have sex to get pregnant. But if you have been trying for over a year, you really should see a fertility doctor. If you'd like info on finding a fertility doctor in your area, please call or email our patient care advocates at 855-955-2229 or Best, Claire

I had a ep on may 2013. This was my first pregnancy in life. I passes the Baby naturally. Three months later I went ro have a HSG done and it showed my right tube is missing I wasn't born with one, but my left tube the dye went thru it. The doctor said I had some scaring but it blew away as he pushed the dye. Now I just had another pregnancy at first they said it was a ep but when I met with the doc he said he ruled it as a miscarriage. He also said I need to see a fertilist specialist. I dont under stand if the baby wasnt in my tubes and dye passed straight thru my left one. Im confused.

I'm sorry for your losses. Because you have one fallopian tube and have had the miscarriages, it makes sense for you to see a fertility doctor. He or she can do a thorough workup and decide, with you, what treatment you need, if any. If we can help you find a fertility doctor, please contact our patient care advocates at 855-955-2229 or

I had an ectopic pregnancy last year September, then just a few weeks ago I had sex and the condom broke, I wasn't using any other contraceptives, so because I saw the risk of getting pregnant, I used morning after pills. three days after that, I had sex again, then the next day I started bleeding, which was not normal because I had just been on my periods the week before. Am I in danger?

I first got pregnant when I was 24 I had to have my right tube removed dec 26 2010 then got pregnant 3 months later mar 2011 and had another ep dr later did an hsg n said my tube was blocked I went nov 2012 to have surgery to removed scar tissue n had another ep on May 6 2013 and that broke my heart I want to have kids I'm 27 yrs old n don't kno what else to do and I need help n Ivf is out of question BC it cost to much.

I am 39 years old and I had one miscarrage and 2 ectopics several years ago. I had surgery where both of my fallopian tubes were cut in half. My boyfriend and I are trying to have a baby. Is it possible for me to still conceive?

I'm so sorry for your losses. You really should schedule a consultation with a fertility doctor who can review your history, run some easy blood tests, and provide you complete information on your specific situation and getting pregnant. If you'd like to find a doctor in your area, contact our patient care advocates toll-free at 855-955-2229 or email Best, Claire

Most doctors will treat with methotrexate in one or several injections, until they are sure the pregnancy has ended. I don't know enough about your specific situation, but you should check with your doctor if your period is late and you are concerned. Best, Claire

Hi. I recently had an ectopic pregnancy two months ago or so. I was treated with methotrexate. My last period was November 27th. I normally have a 28 day cycle. As of right now I'm 3 almost 4 days late. I've taken a couple pregnancy tests and they all say no. So my question is could I still be pregnant or is this due to taking the methotrexate? Could it be that I have a blockage in my tube? I hope this is making sense. Please help!

I am 27 years old and childless. I too am looking for an alternative way to conceive other than IVF due to insufficient funds. My first pregnancy was in 05 when I was just 19 years old, it was ectopic which resulted in my right Fallopian tube being removed. My second pregnancy occurred 5 years later in 2010 and that too was an ectopic pregnancy. So there I was at the young age of 24 getting my second tube removed. It was the most frightening time of my life! The DR that performed my 2nd surgery looked at me with so much pain in his eyes as he said "You're so young.. When I remove this tube u will not be able to conceive children naturally." After the surgery I fell into a deep depression. All I could do is ask God why me? To this day I have a hard time accepting the fact I will never be able to conceive naturally. My boyfriend of 9 years wants to have children and I don't know what to do. I love him with all my heart and I would be heartbroken if he impregnated another woman knowing it should be me but I want to see him happy. Both of my unborn children were his, he has been there for me since the beginning and I so desperately want to give him the family that we both desire but I'm beginning to lose faith. What's a girl to do?

I'm so sorry for your losses. You should look at the Fertility Treatment Costs section on FertilityAuthority - There are a number of companies that provide grants and aid for fertility treatment, and a number of programs offer treatment at reduced costs. In addition, the forums at are a great source of information and support - and you can connect with other women there. I wish you all the best, Claire

i had ep surgery and had my right fallopian tube removed on 29 august,2013 now i am trying again will i be able to conceive?

Many women conceive with one fallopian tube, but it's dependent on a number of factors and your personal situation. If you are concerned and would like a consultation with a fertility doctor, please contact our Patient Care Advocates at 855-955-2229 or Best, Claire

Some years ago I had gotten pregnant in my tubes it was devastating because I was two months along and had to lose the baby..I then told the Dr I didn't want to go thru such he took one tube out and cut other in half..I now have been wanting to have a baby question is wit one tube and one cut in half is it possible??

It is possible to get pregnant with one fallopian tube, but it sounds like the one remaining may not be functioning. You would need to check with a doctor who can examine your tubes, and let you know the best way to proceed with getting pregnant. Best, Claire

I'm sorry for your losses. If you do not have fallopian tubes, your option for getting pregnant is IVF. If you would like more information, including doctors in your area, please email our Patient Care Advocates at Wishing you all the best, Claire

i was 16 years old when i first felt pregnant 2004 and carried my son full term my son is 9yrs old after my son i started having problems i had 2 emergency abortions where i was told that the babys died inside of me when i was 23yrs old 2010 i had my first ectopic pregnancy and my left tube was removed i then felt pregnant again when i was 24yrs old 2011 and had another ectopic pregnancy where my right tube was removed my doctor told me i couldnt fall pregnant again i am 26yrs old and would really like to concieve again what advice or chances do i have to fall pregnant in the future

I had ep on the 19th of June 2013, started having my period on 22 July.I had read you need to wait for 3cycles before you try for another baby,the whole of September i tried and no luck, then in October i tried clomid 50g but still got my period on the 8th of November.I am so discouraged and sad everytime i see my friend who we got preg at the same time with her healthy bump.Is it evaer going to happen for me, the doctor said my other tube is ok

I'm so sorry for your loss. It can be so hard when you have constant reminders of what might have been. Since you are concerned, you're taking clomid, and it sounds like you have only one viable fallopian tube, you should be seeing a reproductive endocrinologist, not your ob/gyn. If you need a referral or a second opinion, our patient care advocates can help. They can be reached toll-free at 855-95-2229 or via email at You might also find our forums helpful, where you can chat with other women in the same situation: I wish you the best, Claire.

In 2007 I had an abortion , 2010 had a baby, 2011 had another medical abortion , 2013 had an ectopic and had one of my tubes removed how can I avoid ectopic again should I consult a doctor wen I wanna conceive or just try naturaLly I'm cuRrently on nuriserate is that good as I am really scared to get pregnant again its been 4 months knw should I stop with birth control as it might be reducing my chances of ever conciving again please help.

You really should consult a doctor with your questions. He or she can advise you on getting pregnant again and hopefully alleviate your fears and concerns. If you'd like help finding a specialist, please call our Patient Care Advocates toll free at 855-955-2229 or email Best, Claire

I had an ectopic pregnancy and went to surgery on sept 20th,2013 to have the pregnancy and my left tube removed..Almost two weeks later after surgery my ob and fertility specialist released me to start trying it is 5 weeks after surgery and no period and a positive pregnancy test....Go on monday for my first doc appt..

I am 39 years old. I've been trying to conceive since 2006 when I had surgery from an ectopic. I caught it in time.I was pregnant in the lining of my tubes so the doctor had to remove the embryo.I was 7 weeks & 2 days. The doctor was able to save my tube. This happened in the left tube. So I still have both tubes. I've done all blood work to make sure if becoming pregnant the baby will be healthy. All my test was good. The doctor told me I am in normal limits to hopefully getting pregnant. I've been married for 3 years been with my partner for 10 years. He have 5 of his own from past relationships. What are my chances getting pregnant?

You've probably heard that the chances of getting pregnant naturally decrease as you get older - fertility declines with age. You really should see a fertility doctor since you've been trying to get pregnant for several years. If you'd like help finding a doctor in your area, one of our Patient Care Care Advocates can help. Please contact us at 855-955-2229 or Best, Claire


Add new comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.