Find a Clinic Near You And Get Started Today


You are here

Diagnosis and Treatment of Fibroids and Polyps

Status message

Active context: desktop


Fibroids are often discovered during a pelvic exam. To confirm the diagnosis, the doctor may ask you to have a trans-vaginal or pelvic ultrasound, an MRI, or an endometrial biopsy.

Although there are several ways to treat fibroids, most treatments affect fertility. Hormone therapy, uterine fibroid embolization, and a hysterectomy can treat the symptoms but are not recommended for women planning to get pregnant. Fibroids can grow back (except following a hysterectomy) so you may need to be treated more than once.

The only treatment for women who want to maintain their fertility is a surgical procedure called a myomectomy. This procedure preserves the uterus but removes the fibroids that are causing pain or excessive bleeding. A myomectomy can be performed in a number of ways. The type of myomectomy recommended depends on the type, size and location of your fibroids.


Polyps are also usually found during a pelvic exam. There are several ways to confirm the diagnosis. A type of ultrasound called a sonohysterogram uses sterile water to open the uterine cavity and let the doctor see any polyps that are there. Another type of diagnostic test is a hysterosalpingogram which uses dye to open the uterus. An x-ray then shows if any polyps are in the uterus. A procedure called a hysteroscopy uses a thin telescope-like viewing device to look inside the uterus and confirm the presence of polyps.

If you have polyps, they can be treated during a hysteroscopy. Used not only for diagnosis but also for treatment, a hysteroscope lets the doctor remove the polyps. If the polyps are infected you may have to take an antibiotic after the procedure.

Comments (55)

I had a transnational examination today and was told the lining of my womb has thickened and I also have polyps, what type of operating procedure will I have and how long will I be in hospital

I'm sorry, Bea. I know how scary this must be. I encourage you to go back to the specialist and ask these questions and ask about alternative treatment or talk to your regular doctor to discuss further options. It can be so hard to figure out what to do for our health but your doctor is there to support you! So remember she is a resource and that she also wants what's best for you!!!

Good luck!


Need help with our site? Contact me at I'm happy to help!

I am a post-menoposal, early-60's woman; recently diagnosed w/an approximately 1 cm uterine polyp. Mostly asymptomatic w/occasional quick, stabbing pain on either side of uterus. Recommendation is for hysteroscopy/removal of polyp.

Since I have no serious symptoms, I'm wondering if "cure" will cause more problems than leaving it alone?

Hi Judy --
If you have a concern about the hysteroscopy, I encourage you to get a second opinion. I will add though that hysteroscopy is a pretty easy procedure for most women.

Need help or have a question? Contact me!

I have a question! My mother recently found out she has to have surgery soon. The doctor said that they are removing her fibroids and checking for polyps and if she has polyps that they would remove them as well. Is there a chance she won't recover. Please get back to me because me and my family are worried sick!!


Add new comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.