You are here
Gonadotropins are ovulation inducing fertility drugs, sold under the brand names Follistim and Gonal-f. These injectable drugs contain genetically engineered FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) and are used to stimulate ovulation and help the ovaries produce multiple eggs.
How it Works
Gonadotropins are injectable fertility drugs often used with fertility treatments such as in vitro fertilization (IVF) and ovulation induction with or without intrauterine insemination (IUI). These fertility drugs cause the development of one or several follicles. Injections are started early in the menstrual cycle and continued for approximately eight to 14 days until one or more mature follicles are seen with ultrasound examination of the ovaries. Then, an injection of hCG is administered to induce ovulation.
The amount of gonadotropins used will vary by patient. Your fertility specialist will tell you exactly how much medication you need to inject each day.
Follistim is available in pre-mixed vials for use with a needle and syringe, and in cartridges for use with the Follistim Pen, and injected subcutaneously.
Gonal-f is available in liquid or powder form as a pre-filled multiple dose pen, and multiple-dose and single-dose vials, and is injected subcutaneously.
The cost of gonadotropin therapy can be substantial, ranging from $35 to $70 per ampule with the required dosage ranging from half an ampule per day to six or more ampules per day for eight to 14 days. A cycle usually costs between $1,500 and $5,000.
- Follistim may be stored at 36–46°F (2–8°C) until the expiration date, or at 77° (25°C) for three months or until expiration date, whichever occurs first.
- Once the rubber inlay of the Follistim® AQ Cartridge has been pierced by a needle, Follistim can only be stored for 28 days at 36–77°F (2–25°C).
- Keep Follistim away from light and do not freeze.
- Before first use, Gonal-f can be stored up to three months at room temperature or refrigerated, until the expiration date.
- After first use, Gonal-f can be stored up to 28 days at room tempertature or refrigerated.
- Keep Gonal-f away from light and extreme temperature.