Find a Clinic Near You And Get Started Today


You are here

Male Infertility

Status message

Active context: desktop

Male infertility affects approximately two million men annually.
Medical factors of male infertility include the following.


Azoospermia refers to no or very low levels of sperm in the semen. This may be the result of lack of sperm production or it may be that the sperm is not being transported properly. Depending on the cause, treatment options range from medication to minimally-invasive procedures.

Congenital Bilateral Absence of the Vas Deferens (CBAVD)

With CBAVD, the two vas deferens, the part of the male reproductive system that transport the sperm for ejaculation, fail to form properly prior to birth. If the vas deferens are absent, there may be an opportunity to retrieve sperm from the body surgically. CBAVD accounts for approximately 1 percent to 2 percent of all infertility in men and can be the result of a genetic disease such as cystic fibrosis.


Hypospadia is a rare condition that involves a misplaced urinary opening within the penis. Hypospadia is usually the result of a birth defect, and surgery is needed to correct this condition.

Retrograde Ejaculation

Retrograde ejaculation is a fairly common condition where semen travels to and is discharged through the bladder rather than ejaculated from the penis. This condition can often be caused by medications, health conditions such as diabetes, or by surgery that affects the nerves or muscles that control the opening of the bladder. Retrograde ejaculation is usually diagnosed with a urinalysis, and often can be corrected.

Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)

STDs, such as chlamydia and gonorrhea, and infections of the male genitalia and male reproductive system can also cause infertility. These infections are often treatable with medication, however treatment does not always reverse the damage that is causing the infertility.


Varicoceles refer to enlarged varicose veins in the scrotum that prevent adequate blood flow or may cause reverse blood flow. Approximately 40 percent of men with infertility have varicoceles. Treatment options may or may not involve surgery.


Comments (22)

we did test as per DR advise. the result no sperm in semen. what will do further.pls advise

Hi mrz, Sperm aspiration can be performed to retrieve sperm within the testes rather than trying to obtain sperm in the ejaculate (which in your case does not have any sperm). It only takes one, so if a fertility doctor can retrieve one sperm from aspiration, then the procedure would be worth it. Send us an email and we will help you connect with a fertility doctor who can assist you. Best, Kim

my husband and i have been trying to conceived for 3 years. it's may be because of i had to have an abortion 8 years ago. it been hard every since then for me. what can i do? or can i take to help me. i used to smoke and stop is that what the case.

We conceived once and after a healthy and happy pregnancy had a son who is now 12. We have tried for many years to conceive again and have gone through fertility tests 3 separate times. It is our understanding that the ejaculate is too thick for the sperm to get through however the count and motility seem to be good. We have tried AI twice unsuccessfully but not IVF yet. Any other options?

Thank you.


hi my husbin had cancer and was treated for it and now his sperm has very little chance of getting me pergnant what can we do to have are own child together?

In men, hormonal disorders, trauma, illness, reproductive anatomy and obstruction, and sexual dysfunction can affect temporarily or permanently to sperm and prevent conception. Some of the most difficult disorders to treat the long persist without treatment.

My wife and I are currently coping with my azospermia. What is the success rate of developing sperm after having Hypothyroidism? What is the success rate of FSH and Gonado tropin treatments?

We have a possible paternity issue. My sister said because her son was sick as a child, between the ages of 3 thru 7 or 8, and at some time had a fever of 106 once, he would have been made sterile from the fever. There is no medical evidence of this sterility that either my sister or I are aware of. It is just a supposition on my sister's part, based soley on things she has heard in the past. I am in my early 60's and my sister is in her 80's. I've also heard of possible male sterility problems cause by childhood illnesses, but never heard concrete evidence to the fact that once a male childs temperature reaches 106, sterility is assured in all cases. Please help us resolve this issue. Any info on the subject would be greatly appreciated. husband and i are trying to conceive for 3 yrs. already...when i read this site about the causes of men infertility,,i was very intrigue about the hypospadia...because my husband was once a bmx racer before and i think he had this some kind of misplaced urinary opening...what are the medication steps needed on this??

We have been married for 5years and still looking for a child. The cost of IVF is just too much for us and we desperatly need our own children. All my wife's friends and relative are having babies and this is really affecting her. Our marriage is in trouble as she feels that she can't have a child with me. Is there any help for people like us to have our own children without going through adoption

I understand that you have been married for 5 years and still looking for a child. Have you ever used birth control pills or these kind of any anti-pregnancy pills? If yes, this also may affect on your birth giving factor. This may not be because of you. If you take my suggestion, please do visit doctor and consult with him about this.

Hi, I have been married for 4 years and trying to have a child. When we consulted the doctor, he mentioned that I am suffering from Azoospermia. Could anyone let me know whether this is curable and if so, who is the contact person?

Thanks in advance.

My husband and I have been trying for a baby for over 2 years. We recently went through with fertility testing. Everything seems to be just fine with me. My husband on the other hand had a varicocele surgery, and a biopsy of the testes was taken. The results came back, he was diagnosed with Non Obstructive Azoospermia with maturation arrest, the doctor did say the condition had to do with a Y chromosome abnormality. The urologist did not fully explain what this meant except that there was nothing that he could do to treat the condition. He did express to us that my husband was producing sperm, but it was only reaching the second stage of development. He suggested that we try to find a fertility clinic that could do ICSI and IVF using secondary spermocytes(my husbands). We have not found one yet, only found clinics that will help in choosing a sperm donor. We are not ready to give up on using our own sperm just yet, but are we fighting a battle that cannot be won? Are there fertility treatments for people that have our issues? Everything I have read about ICSI says this is likely not going to help us.I contacted a professor at the at the State University of New York, who told me about a procedure called ROSI or ROSNI (round spermatid nuclei injection). The professor did mention that this is a very controversial practice. I have not found very much info on the procedure except that it is being tested on mice, and a few procedures have taken place in the middle east? I am very confused and overwhelmed with the whole situation. We want to have children but are unsure if there is any hope for us! Do you have any info that can help? I hope I have provided you with enough information to help us.

Sarah and Bill

In some instances retrograde ejaculation can be treated with medication. However you need to see a urologist who can determine the cause, and appropriately address your issue.

I don't know but I think am sperm is watery... Pls What can i do.. cos its seems transparent kind of...

hi....... me and my husband has been trying to get pregnant for 5 years but with no success i have 3 kids that were all c-sections from a previous relationship that lower my chances and now the doctors has told my husband that he has no sperm we have been to a fertility specialist but after 1 visit we havent been back the cost is to much CAN SOMEONE HELP.....IS THERE ANYTHING THAT WE COULD DO TO INCREASE OUR CHANCES OF GETTEN PREGNANT

Husbands semen analysis came back w/ morphology/motility seeming being the problem. Only 1% came back as normal. Abnormal and motility are @ about 65%, also w/ debris which was explained to me that it us usually white blood count, which should not be there. I have undergone 2 artificial insemination procedures w/ no luck. My OBGYN thought to try this option first before referring to a urologist, which is our next step. My question is, can this issues be resolved? We have a beautiful 7 yr. old daughter that w/ a little help w/ the basal method worked after 3 months, which at that time, the only issue w/ my husband was the sperm count, not morphology/motility issues.

Appreciate any advice before he/we see a urology.

Thank you

Hi. my husband has elaged prostate and its under control by taking Uroxatral..we both have children from our past marriages. Does his condition has any affect on his sperm count.
Thank You

Hi Sherry --
Please talk to your doctor about a referral to an infertility specialist. You need testing to determine the reason you have not been able to have a baby yet.

Good luck!


Need help with our site? Contact me at I'm happy to help!

Is azoospermia is treatable.

I am facing this issue, My semen report showes Zero Sperm in Semen, FHS/ Testoren Prolactine Reports are normal.

Any one is here to advise me.


Add new comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.